Bluefin Sport Premier Intermediate League
Moyola Park 3 Oran McAuley, Jason Paul, Stephen Greer
Sport and Leisure Swifts 0

Moyola Park hosted Sport and Leisure Swifts in what would be a very physical match on Tuesday night at the Mill Meadow. Moyola would come into the game eager to perform much better than their last match to attempt to recover the ground lost in their loss to Queens.

Both teams began the match very energetically, with the first chance of the match falling to Sport and Leisure who struck a shot from well outside the Moyola box, something Farniok caught with ease. Moyola would not have to wait long for their first chance however, as Nicky Hudson would control the ball on his chest, turn and half volley towards the Sport and Leisure goal, forcing a good save from the keeper. Sport and Leisure would see more of the possession for most of the first half but would need to remain cautious as Myola were a constant threat with their fast counter attacks. It would be a corner rather than a counter attack which would allow Moyola to open the scoring. The corner would fall to three unmarked Moyola players at the back post who would all bundle it in with Oran McAuley claiming the goal. 1-0 to Moyola.

Moyola’s goal seemed to frustrate Sport and Leisure as the tension on both the pitch and the stands would grow. Arguments between Sport and Leisure Players would only provide more opportunity for Moyola which Jason Paul would capitalise on and after being played through on goal he would hit a deflected shot that went over the keeper and into the Sport and Leisure goal. 2-0 to Moyola. Sport and Leisure would very nearly pull a goal back on the 43rd minute when a cross played into the Moyola box was barely scrambled away. In the 44th minute Moyola would see the last chance of the match after Jason Paul was played through on goal, beating the keeper to the ball who would as a result take him out, receiving a yellow card for the foul. Half time, 2-0 to Moyola.

The second half would start much tighter as neither team was able to make any early chances. Sport and Leisure would eventually make the first chance with a free kick in the 58th minute being headed into the hands of Farniok for another easy save. The tension of the first half would carry into the second as there was a short break in the 61st minute while the referee broke up so pushing and shoving after a free kick was given. This frustration seemed to be getting to the Sport and Leisure players, especially when the Sport and Leisure number 7 was yellow carded for kicking the ball into one of Moyola’s coaches.

Moyola were in control for most of the rest of the second half as they continued to look to finish off Sport and Leisure with another goal. This nearly came in the 67th minute when a great bending through ball from Jason Paul found Stuart Forrest who then was inches from finding the return pass for what would have been a tap in for Jason Paul. Moyola made their first change in the 75th minute bringing Stephen Greer on for Stuart Forrest. This would soon be followed by another change with Jason Paul coming off for Joshua Evans. Moyola would eventually find a third goal in the 88th minute to but the game to bed. Benji Agnew, who had been a constant threat, played the ball across the goal finding Stephen Greer who would get a deserved goal after great dribbling since coming on. Moyola nearly had a fourth soon after but for a great block on a Nicky Hudson header. The match finished 3-0 a good victory for Moyola against a fiery Sport and Leisure Swifts.

Moyola Park: Farniok, McAllister, Harris, McQuillan, McClure, McAuley, J Paul (Evans 75), Graham, Agnew, Hudson, Forrest (Greer 70). Subs not used: Doey, Hegan.

Report by Calum Neeson