Linfield FC vs Moyola Park

August 28, 2018
Score: 8 - 0

Match Report

BetMcLean League Cup 2nd Round
Linfield 8 – Waterworth (5), O’Connor, Stafford, Stewart
Moyola Park 0

Moyola Park travelled to Windsor Park on Tuesday evening for a 2nd round tie in the BetMcLean League Cup against Linfield. The last time the two teams met was also in the League Cup at Windsor Park in 1994 when the Blues won the game 5-0 in which current assistant manager Darren Mawhinney was in the match day squad. Moyola Park manager Mervyn Pattison had Rafferty, McIlhatton and Beggs missing for various reasons and Linfield manager David Healy made numerous changes from the team that drew with Cliftonville on Saturday.

The first chance of the game came in the 7th minute when a shot from the home sides Quinn was blocked by McAllister and 5 minutes later a shot from Smith was blocked by Farniok and cleared. The first effort for the visitors came in the 13th minute when a long range shot from O McAuley was blocked on the edge of the box.

The home side continued to push for the opening goal and the 18th minute saw a cross from Millar headed over by O’Connor and 6 minutes later Stafford found O’Connor and his shot was saved by Farniok. The 27th minute saw Millar and O’Connor combine again with the latter heading over.

The 29th minute saw Farniok save from Fallon and with the resulting ball coming back into the area by Millar which Waterworth headed past Farniok to make the score 1-0. The home side had a penalty appeal turned down in the 34th minute when Quinn would go down in the box but his appeal was turned away by the referee.

The first booking in the game came in the 36th minute when Forrest was shown a yellow card for pulling back a Linfield player on the break. A minute later a ball to O’Connor saw him fire a shot towards goal only to see the ball cannon off the crossbar. With 4 minute left of the first half, Fallon had an effort across goal which Tolan cleared and a minute later Millar had a shot towards the back post which just went wide.

As the first half came to a close, Millar found Waterworth with a great pass and his effort was blocked by McQuillan and the last chance of the half saw Callacher head over from a Millar corner.

The first effort of the second half came in the 50th minute and this doubled the lead as O’Connor headed past Farniok from a Stafford cross. The resulting 8 minutes saw a ball in from Casement held by Farniok, a shot from the visitors McAllister go well over and a shot from the impressive Millar go wide. The first subs of the game came in the 58th minute with the home side replacing Smith and Quinn with Moller Nielsen and Stewart.

The 59th minute saw the first of three goals for Waterworth in as many minutes as a corner from Millar was flicked on by Callacher and Waterworth scored past Farniok. A Minute later Farniok saved from Waterworth, however the Linfield forward scored with a header from the resulting ball into the box. The visitors made a change in the 61st minute with P McAuley replacing his brother O McAuley and a minute later Waterworth made it 5-0.

With 25 minutes left the visitors replaced Harris with Morgan which resulted in McClure moving to left back and the following 3 minutes saw a Casement free kick straight at Farniok and an effort from Fallon saved by the busy keeper. The 74th minute saw Stewart shoot wide following a pass from Waterworth and a minute later the visitors replaced Graham with Curry.

The home side continued to push forward and Stewart found O’Connor in the 77th minute however his shot was saved by Farniok and 3 minutes later another cross from Millar was headed past Farniok by Stafford to make it 6-0. The 81st minute saw another cross from Millar deflected off his own post by Morgan and the last change of the game came in the 84th minute with the home side replacing Millar with Doyle.

The remaining 6 minutes of the game saw two more goals when in the 88th minute O McAuley lost possession in the middle of the park and this resulted in Waterworth scoring his 5th for 7-0 and with a minute left a super effort from Fallon just clipped Stewart on the way in to end the scoring at 8-0.

Speaking after the game, Moyola Park manager Mervyn Pattison said, “Disappointing night for us, we knew we would be up against it as Linfield are a real quality side, we managed to keep it reasonably tight for the 1st half but once Linfield got the 2nd goal early after the break they really upped it a gear, a hard lesson but we look to prepare for another tough encounter on Saturday away to Portstewart”.

Linfield: Gareth Deane (GK), Chris Casement, Mark Stafford, Jimmy Callacher ©, Niall Quinn (Jordan Stewart 57’), Robert Garrett, Stephen Fallon, Kirk Millar (Brandon Doyle 82), Jonathan Smith (Benny Moller Nielsen 57’), Andrew Waterworth, Michael O’Connor. Subs not used: Carroll, Mitchell, Reynolds, Clarke.

Moyola Park: Farniok (GK), McAllister, McQuillan ©, McClure, Harris (Morgan 64’), Graham (Curry 75’), O. McCauley (P. McCauley 60’), Tolan, Forrest, Quigg, Greer. Subs not used: Doey, Kelly.


Marcin Farniok
Steven McQuillan
Craig McAllister
Aaron Harris
Oran McAuley
Stuart ForrestYellow Card
Stephen Greer
Peter McClure
Jack Graham
Eoghan Quigg
Michael Tolan


Stephen Doey
Joe MorganSub
Mark Kelly
Ryan CurrySub
Pearse McAuleySub