Tobermore United F.C. vs Moyola Park

April 25, 2017
Score: 2 - 0

Match Report

Moyola Park travelled to Fortwilliam on Tuesday night for their third and final local derby game of the season with each team having won one each previously. Moyola Park manager Mervyn Pattison started with the same eleven who drew on Saturday with Donegal Celtic and Tobermore United manager Adrian Whiteside had to make a late change to his starting eleven with Marks replacing the injured P Keane at right back.  The conditions for playing on the deck weren’t good as a strong wind was blowing in favour of the home side for the first half.

The first chance of the half fell for the home side in the 13th minute when G Keane fired his shot over and a minute later, good play from J Paul and Rafferty found Beggs and his shot was deflected wide for a Moyola corner. The 18th minute saw a shot from Gillen saved by Farniok in the visitor’s goal and the rebound shot from Stewart was blocked by McAllister. The 21st minute saw Taggart pass to J Paul, however McGraw cleared the danger.

Tobermore continued to push forward as the visitors found it hard to clear their lines with the strong wind in favour of the home side and G Keane cut inside on 25 minutes and saw his shot saved by Farniok and two minutes later, former Moyola youth player Flanagan shot over. G Keane was in action again in the 28th minute when his shot was deflected by McQuillan and saved by Farniok.

The 34th minute saw Moyola push forward with a ball from McAuley to Rafferty gathered safely by McGraw and a minute later at the other end, Gillen passed to Law however he shot over. And the home side thought they should have awarded a penalty in the 36th minute when they thought that Moyola captain McQuillan had handled the ball in the area, however the referee played on.

With the first half coming to a close, Rafferty found Taggart and his shot was saved by McGraw and Rafferty was in action again in the 38th minute when his shot inside the box was blocked and a minute later the referee booked Harris for the visitors.  Moyola nearly opened the scoring in the 41st minute when McAuley was fouled on the edge of the box following a corner and McGraw in the home goal made a great save down low to his right from Hassan’s free kick. The last action of the first half saw J Paul and Rafferty combine to find Hassan and he saw his effort held by McGraw.  

The second half started the way the first half ended with Rafferty crossing for Hassan and his header was saved by the impressive McGraw. The 49th minute saw Duffin turn and shoot wide and three minutes later Flanagan saw his shot saved by Farniok. The 52nd minute saw McGraw again thwart the visitors when he saved well from a Rafferty free kick and the home side should have opened the scoring in the 54th minute when G Keane found himself bearing down on Farniok’s goal, however the Tobermore striker somehow fired his shot high and wide.

The game was starting to go from end to end as the wind had died down slightly and 56th minute saw McGraw saw from J Paul and Hassan fired the rebound against the post. A minute later the referee reached for his cards for a second time when he booked Crooks following a challenge on begs and the 58th minute saw a Taggart free kick held by McGraw.  With both teams looking for an opening Law had his shot blocked in the 59th minute with Farniok saving the resulting shot from the rebound.

With less than half an hour left, Beggs had a shot saved in the 62nd minute following a run and pass from Hassan and a dangerous cross from Law five minutes later was gathered by Farniok.  The referee got out his yellow card again in the 69th minute when he booked Rafferty for a silly late challenge on McGraw and a minute later at the other end the home side opened the scoring when a cross from Law on the right was headed past Farniok by the unmarked Duffin. The 70th minute saw McAuley go into the book this time following a foul on Gillan and the 77th minute saw Stewart clear from Hassan following a cross from Taggart.

The home side made the only change of the game in the 78th minute when P Keane replaced the injured Duffin and with six minutes left, Taggart passed to Hassan and his shot was saved by McGraw.  With the game nearing an end, Tobermore broke down the left with Winton and he fired his shot past Farniok from a tight angle to make the score 2-0.  The last action of the game saw McAuley fire over from long range and the referee blew the final whistle much to the delight of the home crowd.

Tobermore United: McGraw, Marks, Winton, Hudson, Crooks (c), Stewart, Law, Gillan, Duffin (P Keane 78), G Keane, Flanagan. Subs not used: Hunter, Koller, Harkness.

Moyola Park: Farniok, Harris, Forrest, McAllister, McQuillan (c), Hassan, McAuley, Beggs, Taggart, J Paul, Rafferty. Subs not used: Doey, McNamee, Mullan, D Paul, McCann.

Moyola Park’s next game is on Saturday when we welcome Newry City AFC to the Mill Meadow for our final game of the season and this game kicks off at 3.00pm.  


Jason Paul
Marcin Farniok
Steven McQuillan
Craig McAllister
Curtis Hassan
Conor Taggart
Aaron Harris
Oran McAuley
Stuart Forrest
Kyle Beggs
Tiarnan Rafferty


Conor McNamee
Tomas McCann
Stephen Doey
David Paul