Moyola Park vs Newry City FC

April 29, 2017
Score: 2 - 1

Match Report

Moyola Park welcomed second placed Newy Cioty  AFC to the Mill Meadow on Saturday in their final NIFL Premier Intermediate league game of the season.  Moyola Park manager Mervyn Pattison was without Mullan, Beggs, Rafferty and McCann and gave a first start to Evans and welcomed Doey back into defence.

The first chance of the game came in the first minute when Evans had has shot saved by Murphy and a minute later McAllister dangerous cross from right was help by Murphy. The home side continued to push forward and this time is was Paul has an effort saved by Murphy.  The visitors should have opened the scoring in the 20th minute when a corner on the left found Curran and he somehow failed to hit the target.

The home side thought they should have had a penalty in the 25th minute; however the referee waved play on following a challenge from behind on Paul.  Three minutes later a cross from Hassan on the right was headed out for a corner.  Newry City had a chance in the 35th minute when McMullen found Quinn however the danger was cleared by Forrest.  With four minutes of the first half left, a ball into the Moyola area evaded McQuillan and Harris cleared the danger and the home side made the first change of the game when Rowe replaced the injured Doey.  The last chance of the half saw a turn and shot over from McMullen for the visitors.

First chance of the second half fell to Newry City when the ball found McMullen however he failed to control and Farniok gathered the ball.  The next action of the half came in the 54th minute when McMullen had his effort cleared and Grant had his resulting shot saved by Farniok and two minutes later at the other end Hassan had his shot saved by Murphy. The visitors made their first change of the game in the 57th minute with Fegan replacing Quinn.

McMullen was in action again for the visitors when he saw his shot saved by Farniok in the 61st minute and then visitors had two chances in the 64th and 65th minutes when both Grant and Durnin shooting wide. Moyola made their second change of the game in the 66th minute with Taggart replacing Hassan and two minutes later the visitors replaced McMullen with Smaryginas.

The visitors could have opened the scoring in the 71st minute when a cross from Smaryginas was headed goal wards by Grant only to see Farniok make a great save and tip the ball over the bar.  A minute later at the other end a cross from Harris was headed wide by McQuillan.  With 14 minutes left, Moyola made their final change with Greer replacing McNamee.  The home side had a free kick in the 77th minute when Havern found McCaul and he headed over.  With 20 minutes left a mistake in the home defence saw Grant through on goal and he fired the ball into the bottom corner.

The 82nd minute saw Harris find McAuley and he shot side and a minute later Paul equalised when he finished from a tight angle and with five minutes left McAllister fired towards goal and Paul failed to get on the end of it. With three minutes left the ball broke to McQuillan and he fired the ball past Murphy.  With a minute left McAllister was booked for a foul on the edge of the box.

Moyola Park: Farniok, Forrest, McAllister, Harris, Doey (Rowe 42), McQuillan, McAuley, Evans, Hassan (Taggart 66), McNamee (Greer 76), Paul.

Newry City: Murphy, McMahon, King, Mullen, Curran, McCaul, Quinn (Fegan 57), Havern, McMullen (Smaryginas 68), Grant, Durnin. Subs not used: McArdle, Johnston, McCann.

We would like to thank the Uform Kitchens Toomebridge for sponsoring today’s match ball.


Jason PaulGoal
Marcin Farniok
Steven McQuillanGoal
Craig McAllister
Curtis Hassan
Aaron Harris
Conor McNamee
Oran McAuley
Joshua Evans
Stephen Doey
Stuart Forrest


vs Sub
Conor TaggartSub
Stephen GreerSub